This is one of my favorite summer meals. It’s light in flavor but filling and decadent. The rock shrimp are sweet and juicy; the arugula is spicy; the tomatoes are creamy and summery. All in all, it’s easy to make and an instant crowd pleaser! Enjoy!
Makes 4 portions
1 box of penne
3 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
½ cup white wine
6 asparagus spears cut into 1 inch pieces
30 rock shrimp, washed
2 handfuls arugula
½ cup basil, sliced into ribbons
¼ cup Parmesan
Salt & Pepper
1. Add some olive oil to a sauté pan over medium to high heat. When hot, add the onion and sauté until translucent.
2. Add the garlic, chili flakes, dried basil and parsley, and sauté for 30 seconds.
3. Add in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
4. Add in the wine and stir. Let pasta sauce cook for 9about 10 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce has thickened.
5. Meanwhile, boil your pasta according to package instructions.
6. Add the asparagus to the sauce and lightly cook for about 2 minutes until just tender.
7. Add in the rock shrimp and the arugula. Cook for about 2 mins, stirring often, until the shrimp are cooked through but not overcooked.
8. Stir in half the basil, the Parmesan, salt and pepper.
9. Let sauce rest over a low heat until your pasta is ready. Add your pasta to the sauce, along with 2 tbsp of the pasta water. Stir to combine. Check your seasonings.
10. Plate and garnish with basil.